Connected Environments for a Sustainable Future
How can the rise of smart devices lead to a sustainable future? Explore the use of interent of things technology for sustainable solutions.
As our world becomes more and more connected, we use smart devices to overcome different obstacles in our day-to-day lives. But what happens when we use IoT technology to address global-scale problems like sustainability?
Through this two-week course, you’ll explore the fundamentals of the Internet of Things (IoT), and how we can use this technology to overcome different sustainability challenges that we face today. Guided by the experts at The Mind Lab and Tech Futures Lab, you’ll delve into case studies to discover how IoT applications can lead to sustainable decision-making in the New Zealand and International context. You’ll also explore how IoT is teaming up with other technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning and 5G connectivity.
Using examples from smart cities, transport, utilities, and more, you’ll bring your knowledge together, to think critically about the role of IoT in working toward a sustainable future. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who would like to find out more about IoT and the role this technology can play in addressing sustainability challenges. This is an introductory course so you don’t need any prior knowledge of IoT or sustainability.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of IoT, including technology, business strategy and data management.
- Evaluate and reflect on the relevance and potential of IoT to contribute to initiatives addressing sustainability challenges.
What will you learn?
- IoT Hardware, software and the role of technology platforms
- Business dimensions of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the importance of market analysis, business strategy, value proposition
- IoT and Data
- Applications for sustainability
This short course is an introduction, a taster for the Internet of Things for Sustainability Micro-credential also offered by The Mind Lab and Tech Futures Lab.